Domaine Notre Dame des Pallières is a very old family estate, whose name comes from a place of pilgrimage visited by the Provencal people in the Middle Ages who believed that the fountain on the property would protect them from the plague.
Claude Roux and his cousin Jean-Pierre have so many generations of wine making in Gigondas in their family that they don’t know exactly how many generations have been involved. Antique writings suggest Domaine Notre Dame des Pallieres existed in the 900’s and specific references to the Domaine and vineyards can be traced back to the late 1600’s.
The cousins now tend over 65 hectares of vineyards in Gigondas, Rasteau, Sablet, and Cotes du Rhone. When asked about their methods they smile and explain that they are just following the traditional methods of their family members before them.